Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Please Stop the Rodgers/Favre Comparisons!

I love sports talk radio. I love listening to it. I love hosting shows. Heck, I've been in the business since 1991 and have seen firsthand how the format has evolved. But it finally happened. I finally have had my fill, especially when it comes to Packer Talk.

I turned on the two local shows we have in Milwaukee yesterday afternoon, and on one of them I heard what was an interesting debate on who is to blame for the Packers defensive problems. And it really was an interesting debate, pitting coaching (Defensive Co-ordinator Bob Sanders against General Manager Ted Thompson). You could make arguments for both.

But then it happened. One of the hosts went to break and teased a text poll. Aaron Rodgers' approval rating. I turned the radio off.

For those that don't understand what it's been like since the Brett Favre divorce became final, let me break it down for you. You have the pro-Brett faction and the pro-Packer faction. The Brett backers think that he walks on water; that he can do no wrong.

Then there are the Packer Backers. They see things in more of a big picture way and are supportive of Aaron Rodgers.

Now that we have the two factions laid out for you, let me give you a little insight as to what happens the day after every.. single.. Packer.. game. If the Packers win, Rodgers gets a lot of support. If the Packers lose, Rodgers gets hammered, even when he isn't the main reason for the loss.

To ask, after eleven games, for a Rodgers approval rating, is just silly. By now, don't you know what you're going to get?

I have tired of the Favre talk. I have tired of the Rodgers talk. Like it or not, the hosts of these shows set the agenda for what people in the market are talking about. And, because the Favre/Rodgers thing always draws full lines, always gets a large amount of emails, always gets people to react, the stations keep going back to the 'bread and butter.'

It's time for the hosts of these shows to expand their horizons. Think outside the same two or three things that always get talked about. There are so many other things to talk about with this Packer team besides Rodgers/Favre.

The discussion on who is to blame for the defensive problems is a good start. But it doesn't go far enough.

This team is 5-6 after eleven games. They are in real danger of not making the playoffs. Don't you think that should be the focus of the discussion around here?

Now, please do not take this as me bashing my former colleagues. That's not the case. I like them on a personal basis. This has nothing to do with that. I just disagree with the agenda that was set yesterday. I don't want to listen to more of the same old stuff. And, my guess is, fans don't either.

No comments: