Friday, November 14, 2008

This Jets Fan Not Jumping for Joy Yet

I admit I'm a masochist. That's probably why I've been a New York Jets fan for all of my life. This is a team that has never, and I mean NEVER given me anything more than a fleeting moment of joy. There was 1982 when they went to the AFC title game, but lost to Miami in the Mud Bowl. There was 1998, when they wernt to the AFC title game and lost at Denver. Other than that, not a damn thing.

There's been plenty to moan and groan about over the years. I'll sum it up in two words. Rich Kotite. Or maybe another two words. Bruce Coslet. This organization has had a revolving door of coaches, quarterbacks, and supporting players without ever once coming close to doing what Joe Willie Namath did in 1969.

Then the Jets went out and traded a conditional draft choice to the Packers for Brett Favre - the first real quarterback they've had since signing Boomer Esiason in 1993 as a free agent. Still, most Jets fans thought this team wouldn't have enough to beat the mighty New England Patriots.

That belief was reinforced in Week 2, when Eric Mangini was too conservative and Matt Cassel did just enough in his first start since Tom Brady went down with a knee injury to get New England the win.

Then came last night's game at New England, a 34-31 OT win by the Jets which about half the country saw because the NFL and the cable companies can't come to an agreement (what a shame). It was an incredible game to watch (on my computer). And I'm thrilled that the Jets won and took sole possession of first place in the AFC East. But, forgive me if I don't want to throw a parade for Gang Green just yet.

First of all the Patriots they just barely beat last night were not the same Patriots that went to the Super Bowl last season on the strength of an undefeated season. Cassel's good, but he's not Brady. The running game New England had last night featured someone named Benjarvus Green Ellis, not Laurence Maroney or Sammy Morris. Offensive lineman Dan Koppen was hurt. So was rookie linebacker Jerod Mayo. The Pats were without Adalius Thomas, who killed the Jets in Week 2. Steve Neal and Ty Warren were also hobbled. In other words, the Jets beat the Patriots Lite last night.

Call me a Negative Nancy if you want, but there's still time for the Jets to screw it up. It's not like they have never done that in the past. Jeez, in 1986 they got off to a 10-1 start only to lose the last five games of the regular season and sneak into the playoffs.

The rest of the schedule isn't as easy as my colleague Mike Greenberg of ESPN Radio would have you believe. Next up is Tennessee, and until someone beats the Titans they are the best team in the NFL. Denver's struggling, but if Jay Cutler is on his game anything is possible. San Francisco's a very winnable game, as is the other remaining road game in Seattle. But, there are still two divisional games, against the Bills and Dolphins. Even though the Jets have beaten both teams this season, it's possible they will lose the rematches. Miami has surprised a few teams this year, and Buffalo's defense keeps them in every game.

Look, it's great that they won. I'm happy. I'll wear my Jets hat and Favre jersey today. But, I won't put the cart before the horse yet. There's still plenty of football left to go.

No comments: