Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I Don't Go To Super Bowl Parties


If you check out my podcast today, you'll hear who I'm picking to win Super Bowl XLIII. You'll hear why I'm picking them to win.

I'm looking forward to the game Sunday night for a number of different reasons. Super Bowl Sunday is the one day when most of the country is watching the same thing on television at the same time.

Some people will go to a bar to watch the game. Some will go to a party to watch the game.

Me? I'm going to stay at home and watch. I firmly believe that it is better to watch the game at home as opposed to a bar or party.

Why? Here are my ten reasons for choosing home over a bar or party for Super Bowl Sunday. (This is not to say I'm anti social. I just like watching the game from the comfort of my own home).

10. Food:
I control the menu at home (ok my wife does). But at least I have input. If you go to a bar, you might not find anything you like on the menu. If you go to a party, your hosts might not have anything you want either. Watching a game like this without food you like is just not fun.

9. Crowd Noise: I've watched the game at a bar. I've watched the game at a party. I'm a person who likes to be able to hear what the announcers are saying while the game is going on. When you're at a bar or party, there isn't much crowd control. I find that conversations or just plain noisy people can ruin my enjoyment of the game.

8. The Football IQ of the people you're watching with: I'm lucky. My wife knows more than most women do about football (she has to keep up with me). It's not like she'll ask me 'Where do the Steelers play?' or 'What's a sack?'. I've had people (both men and women by the way) ask me those questions during a Super Bowl. I find stupid questions like that distracting.

7. I've got the best seat in the house: I don't have the biggest television in the world but it's not bad (32 inch HD). I also have the luxury of watching it from my spot on the couch. The best seat in the house. I have an unobstructed view of the television. I don't have anyone in my way. I don't get that at a party or a bar.

6. I can keep track of the commercials: Let's face it. The Super Bowl is the only game during the NFL season where anyone cares about the commercials. I've covered four Super Bowls, and even my colleagues in the media kept quiet during the commercials. I've been to bars where there were other things going on during commercials. I've been to parties where there are other things going on during the commercials. I like the idea that I can watch the commercials without being interrupted.

5. I have a DVR:
If I go to a party or a bar and I miss something (for whatever reason), I miss it forever. At home, the good folks at Time Warner Cable have provided me with a DVR. So, if I miss something, I can simply go back, rewind, and watch it again.

4. I don't have to put up with any boring conversations: Try this, go to a Super Bowl Party with ten of your friends. Let me know how many of them complained about their wives, jobs, or kids. Staying at home - well I don't have to worry about that.

3. At home, it's just about the game: I once went to a Super Bowl party where the couple decided to show us a home movie of their wedding during halftime. With The Boss (Bruce Springsteen) playing halftime this year, I don't want there to be anything going on but the game. By the way, If I had wanted to go to that couple's wedding, I would have. There was a reason I didn't.

2. It's a School Night: The game doesn't start until 6:30 Eastern Time. Back when I lived on the East Coast, that meant it didn't end until around 11PM. Then you have to drive yourself home (by midnight). If you have to work the next morning (and I did), you're probably going to be useless. I don't need the headache that I get when my boss yells at me. So, once the game is over, my head hits the pillow, and it's good night!

1. I can be comfortable: When you go to a party you have to dress to impress (especially if you're single). When you go to a bar you can't look like a slob (especially if you're single and are looking for Ms. Right or even Ms. Right Now). When you watch the game at home, you have no such worries.

And I'll be at home. For all you know, I'll be watching the game in my underwear.

Try to get that visual out of your mind. But hey, at least I'll be comfortable.

No comments: