Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Living In A Controversy Free Zone




It's a relatively quiet time on the Wisconsin sports scene. The Packers are conducting their usual silent off-season (until the Draft, of course). The Bucks are wrapping up a season which saw them take a step forward from where they've been the last couple of years. The Brewers are just beginning their six-month long roller coaster ride. The Badgers are conducting Spring Practice. College basketball is done for the season. And the Admirals are getting ready for the playoffs.

Some people look at what's going on and wish there would be more to talk about. Those people thrive on controversy. They aren't happy unless some athlete, coach, or executive does something to outrage the public. Those are the people that wish Milwaukee had a Terrell Owens (or someone else of that nature) to beat up on every single day.

This isn't me taking shots at any of my former co-workers or competitors. Let me make that crystal clear. I admit, as a media member, that controversy sells. Every columnist loves a lightning rod. Every radio talk show host (myself included) loves to have a T.O. type of figure to talk about. It makes our job that much easier. Times like this mean the columnists and talkers have to work a little harder.

And I have to say I find it refreshing. Maybe my perspective has changed since I was last on the air at WSSP in October. Maybe I'm just getting wiser, or more mellow with age. I don't know. What I do know is that I'm happy with how things are right now.

Should the Packers have made more of a play for veteran free agents that could help them turn things around? There's merit to both sides of the argument. I acknowledge that. But, talking about it - actually, repeating the argument, for four consecutive off-seasons doesn't do anything for fans. There's nothing new there. It makes it easier for a columnist to write a thousand words. It makes it easier for a talk show host to fill a couple of segments. But if there isn't anything new, why go there?

Let's take it a step further, okay? Instead of re-hashing the same old arguments, how about giving the fans (whether it's readers or listeners) something new to chew on. Not that I want to give anyone any help or anything like that, but there are a couple of mock drafts out there that have the Packers taking a serious look at drafting Ohio State RB Chris 'Beanie' Wells with their first round pick. To me, the prospect of taking a back at #9 when you already have Ryan Grant and you have other needs makes for a fabulous debate.

That's just one example of giving the reader/listener something new to think about. There are plenty of other things out there. My media brothers just have to look a little harder in order to find them. Am I taking a risk by saying this? Probably. No, make that definitely.

Look, I confess that in my career (especially here in Milwaukee) I tended to go with the controversial topics that wound up on the front page of the sports section. But I also did my best to bring something different to the table as often as I could. Whether I succeeded or not really isn't for me to judge. Some people liked it when I went 'off the beaten path.' Some didn't. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Maybe it took me sitting on the sidelines to fully realize that. But I know this. If I see a column about something that's been talked about a million times before; if I hear a radio guy ranting on something that's been hit on time and time again (usually it has to do with Ted Thompson, Brett Favre, or Rickie Weeks), I don't give it my full attention anymore.

When I hear or read something new and different, my ears and eyes perk up. I'm not going to pretend to speak for anyone reading this piece. I'm only speaking for myself.

But, when I read a column by someone bemoaning the fact that there's no controversy going on here in Wisconsin sports right now, I get annoyed. When I get a call or an email from a friend of mine saying that there isn't anything going on, I vehemently disagree. There's actually plenty going on.

With the Packers, it's all about the draft. Wisconsin Football is heading into a pivotal 2009 season. The Bucks took a step forward this season, but they have to find a way to keep that momentum going. Marquette Basketball is going to look a lot different next year than it has for the past four seasons because three players who were so much a part of the program are moving on (hopefully) to the next level. The Admirals, who have a smaller but loyal fan base are trying to compete in a market where people don't have nearly as much income to spend as they did a year ago (and they are going to the playoffs I might add).

And the Brewers are trying to repeat last year's playoff run. There's no Ned Yost to beat up on anymore (he was as controversial a figure as I've seen in this city). The team has a new attitude (more relaxed) if not a different look. It's no longer about what Ned said or what move he made. It's now about the games. Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact, you could pretty much say that for all the teams in the state right now. It's about wins and losses. It's not about controversies (though I'm sure there will be more than one that will pop up).

The media may not like this controversy-free time. Maybe they want another summer like 2008, where every move Brett Favre made - every word that came out of his mouth - was dissected a thousand different ways. But after a while, it got old. (Confession: By the time the season started last year I was sick of talking about the story. However, ignoring it completely would have been the wrong thing to do.) Just like the Ted-bashing, or Ned-bashing, or any of the debates that have been rehashed time and time again.

Without any real controversies to talk or write about, the media will have to get a little more creative. I know that some of my colleagues are up to the challenge. I hope others are as well.



This isn't a boring time in Wisconsin sports. There's a lot going on. It just might take a little more work to find it.



No comments: