Friday, April 24, 2009

My Media Love/Hate List



I was watching ESPN2's First Take yesterday, as has become my routine. I remember when this show first started (the original title was Cold Pizza). It was, at that time, brutal. It has since become must watch television. A perfect mix of news, hilites, and opinion.

However, there is one thing, make that one person I just can't take. I'll tell you who it is in just a little bit. But, as I sat watching yesterday, I decided to let you know about the five sports media personalities that I love and the five personalities that I hate (hey, I aim to be fair and balanced here - just like FOX News Channel). Take a look at these lists, and let me know your Love/Hate list.

My Hate Five:

5. Digger Phelps: Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Digger used to be a guy that I liked to watch. He used to be someone I respected. But somewhere along the way he started to believe his own hype. Now he's a guy that just sucks the air out of a room. He must love the sound of his voice, because he doesn't let anyone else speak. I can't tell you how many times I've watched him cut other analysts off. He still has good opinions and insight, but I just can't get beyond his ego. And, matching the hiliter to the tie every time he's on the air has gotten old. Very old.

4. Chris Berman: He took a hiatus after the Super Bowl (he does every year now). But he has come back with a vengeance. Watching him last Sunday on Baseball Tonight was a painful experience. He used to be the best in the business. But now everyone has to have a nickname. The players, managers, analysts; heck the camera guys probably have nicknames too. It was cute twenty years ago. It isn't anymore. Berman also fancies himself as a play by play guy (for baseball and golf). Uh, no he's not. And for those who haven't missed him, it's about to get worse. The NFL Draft is tomorrow, where we'll all have to put up with Fred Flinstone (my nickname for him) and his antics for four hours or so.

3. John Feinstein: I enjoy John's books and columns. I can't stand him when he fills in for Jim Rome. Talk about ego run amok. I also used to deal with him when I worked at Sporting News Radio. He's not a people person, and I'm being kind when I say that. That's also why he isn't on television as much as he used to be.

2. Keith Olbermann: K.O. was in his prime when he hosted Sportscenter with Dan Patrick. He hasn't been anywhere near that since they split up. Watching NBC try to re-create The Big Show magic they had in the 1990's was painful. It just wasn't there anymore. That's because Keith is clearly more of a news/politics guy than he is a sports guy. I watched him do hilites and wondered how much of the NFL he actually kept up with. Stick to news, Keith.

1. Skip Bayless: Skip is a great writer. I truly mean that. He's an even better human being. I know because I used to deal with him when he was a regular guest on The Fabulous Sports Babe Show. He should have stuck to writing. He tried radio - it didn't work out. He's now on First Take, and I just can't stand him. He's too combative (again, something I know a little but about). He always has to have the last word. He makes Rob Parker and Stephen A. Smith sympathetic characters when he debates them on the show, and that isn't easy to do.

My Love Five:

5. Jay Bilas: He's the opposite of most ESPN analysts. He's a straight analyst. He doesn't do any shtick. He just breaks down games and players. He refuses to get caught up in 'inside information.' One day he will either be the number one college basketball analyst for ESPN, or even be Jim Nantz' color analyst for CBS. In fact, he should be working with Nantz now.

4. Ian Eagle: There's nothing he can't do. You know about the play by play that he's done for the NBA, NFL, and college basketball. What you might not have known is that Ian is also one of the better Sports Talk Radio hosts out there. He started his career doing sports talk on WFAN. He still does the occasional show there, and recently turned down the chance to work with Mike Francesa on their afternoon show. A multi-talented guy who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

3. Tony Kornheiser: When PTI first came on the air, I thought he was annoying. Now I can't get enough of the guy. Maybe it's because I can relate to him, being a crusty, late-thirties white guy. He's smart, funny, and doesn't take himself too seriously. He's made PTI must see television for me. And, outside of his mancrush on Brett Favre, he's been a good addition to the Monday Night Football broadcast team.

2. Mike Greenberg/ Mike Golic: I consider them as one. Mike & Mike. One without the other seems unnatural to me. When they first teamed up ten years ago, the show was a rough listen. Now it's a completely different story. They have become (in my opinion) the best nationally syndicated sports talk show. They are a must listen in the morning (with apologies to my friend Doug Russell). They hit the issues of the day, do interviews that keep me listening, and understand how to balance talking sports with guy talk. They don't do the Howard Stern guy talk that too many radio guys (and I've crossed that line here and there) do because they think it's cool. Greenberg's a veteran who knows what his role is (Golic's punching bag for the most part). Golic is the ex-athlete who turned himself into a really good radio guy. There are plenty of athletes doing sports talk today. Few of them work as hard at making the transition as Golic did.

1. Bob Costas: He is simply the best interviewer in sports media. He asks the hard questions without coming off like a jerk. He doesn't throw softballs at any of his subjects. He also has managed to become a media superstar and maintain an even head about it. He's the gold standard.

There's my Love/Hate list. What's yours? Leave a comment or send an email to me at saundersonsports@yahoo.com.

Click here for today's podcast!

No comments: