Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Understand Why Favre Is Planning A Comeback


Now we know. There is no need to speculate anymore. There is no need for ESPN to lead Sportscenter with news that a Minnesota Vikings trainer went to visit Brett Favre to suggest a routine that will help make his surgically repaired shoulder stronger. There is no need to take every little detail - however minute it may be - and turn it into a huge story.

Why? Because we now know what Favre's plans are. He told Joe Buck on HBO last night that he'd like to play this coming season. He told Buck that the only team he's considering is the Vikings. he told Buck the only thing that would stop him from un-retiring again would be his arm.

If you listen to the medical experts (and ESPN has had a number of them on to analyze this situation), it takes about five weeks to fully recover from the kind of surgery Favre had. So, it's no surprise that he isn't throwing at 100% yet. None at all. If he's still not where he wants to be in another three weeks, then there will be reason for Favre and the Vikings to worry.

Somehow, I don't see that happening. Favre's surgery was performed by one of the best surgeons in the business - Dr. James Andrews. The guy has saved more than one career before. And Favre is getting additional help by having the Minnesota trainer suggest a way to get the shoulder where he and the team want it to be by the time the Vikes open up training camp next month.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, Favre will be wearing Minnesota Purple when the 2009 season kicks off. It my not look right, just like it didn't look right when Brett wore the Jets colors last season, but as he said last night "It is what it is."

As far as the rest of the interview on Buck's show is concerned, there really was nothing earth shattering. Favre was as relaxed as I've ever seen him in that setting. His explanation as to why he didn't show up for Minnesota's OTA's certainly made sense. Why show up when there's no guarantee that his arm will let him play in the first place? Why go through two media frenzies when you only need to go through one?

It's also not like Favre has to digest an entirely new offense - the way he did with New York last season. Minnesota's system is the exact same one he ran with the Packers for so many years.

As I said, there was nothing earth shattering about Buck's interview. At the same time, though, it wasn't the best interview I've ever seen. Buck replaced Bob Costas - who left to concentrate on his NBC and MLB Network jobs. Costas is the gold standard when it comes to conducting interviews. Buck is an excellent play-by-play guy, but not necessarily the best interviewer I've ever seen.

The one thing that I wanted Buck to ask Brett was why he was coming back again. What was his motivation? It's a question that begs to be asked. It's a question that Costas certainly would have hit Favre with. In that respect, Buck came up short.

Not that we all didn't know what the answer would be to that question, but it would have been nice to hear Favre say it. It doesn't take a Mensa member to figure out that Favre wants to stick it to the Packers for what he thinks they did to him last summer. The best way to do that is to sign with a division rival. This gives him two chances to beat Green Bay - the team he feels did him wrong. It doesn't hurt that Minnsota - with Favre under center - would be considered a Super Bowl contender. It's a bonus, but I don't think it's the reason Favre is (likely) coming back.

He is doing this because of the acrimony that remains between him and GM Ted Thompson. Revenge, they say, is a dish best served cold. It is also one hell of a motivator.

Some people have a problem with why Favre is coming back. Take FOX Sports' Mark Kriegel, who wrote last week that Favre was coming back for the wrong reasons.

I've done a lot of thinking about this. A year ago, I believed that Favre was coming back because he wanted to play. I never said he couldn't play. I always maintained that he had to play somewhere besides Green Bay because they had moved on and committed themselves to another quarterback.

This year, I think the motivation is different. Sure, Favre wants to show that last December was nothing more than a fluke, and yes, it would be great to win another Super Bowl. But I do believe that Favre's main reason for un-retiring this time around is to stick it to the Packers. Again, there are a lot of people that have a problem with that. I don't.

I know, that shocks you considering what I've said about Favre over the years on the radio. But it's true, I don't have a problem with Favre coming back just to stick it to the Packers. And I have a very simple reason.

While not many of us can imagine ourselves as Favre, we certainly can relate with what's going through his mind. He feels he got done wrong by the Packers. That he wanted to play for them but they decided to go with a younger guy. It's something we all can understand.

How many of you reading this has ever been fired from a job? I would venture to guess that a lot of you have. Heck, we all have. How many of you would love to stick it to your old boss - the boss that told you to clean out your desk? Again, I'd venture to guess a lot of you would.

I know I would. I've been fired from a radio job more than once in my career (and I guarantee it will happen again). If I had the chance to 'stick it' to my ex-bosses, I would. Sure, I'd love to show my old bosses they were wrong in moving on without me. It's a natural reaction. No one wants to be cast aside for someone younger and cheaper.

That's what has been going through Brett's mind for well over a year now. At the end of the day, he is human. He puts his pants on one leg at a time just like we all do. Even though he has millions of dollars, he has the same emotions that we all do. So it's actually easy (for me at least) to understand what is driving Favre right now.

Some people may not like it. But anyone who has ever lost a job can relate.

I can relate.


No comments: