Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why I Think Thompson Will Give In To Driver



The moment that Brett Favre decided to retire in March of last year was the moment that Donald Driver became the face of the Packers. He became the elder statesman in the locker room. He was the guy with the longest track record on the roster. He took over Favre's charity softball game. He was doing all the commercials. When Brett retired, Driver became Mr. Packer.

That's why it was so hard for me to fathom that Driver, who should know better, was unhappy with his contract and decided not to report to OTA's. Granted, he didn't skip anything that was mandatory, but Driver not being in Green Bay for workouts was very, well, un-Driver-like.

Then you read Jason Wilde's report in the Wisconsin State Journal that not only was Driver unhappy with his contract, but he he had approached the Packers about re-doing his deal for four consecutive years. Driver got what he wanted in 2006 and 2007, but didn't get what he wanted last season. Just by virtue of the report over the weekend in the Green Bay Press Gazette that Driver's agent has been negotiating with the team, it seems to me he will get what he wants this year. Three for four isn't bad, especially when you're a thirty-four year old player who isn't even the number one guy that his position anymore (that would be Greg Jennings).

I'm not going to pull any punches. Driver picked the wrong time to approach the team about an extension, especially considering the state of the economy, and the fact that Joe Fan who is barely making ends meet relates less and less to athletes that make millions of dollars.

But, I understand why Driver is going for the cash now. This is the NFL. It's a business. The league will give you a chance to play no matter what crimes you may have committed because you have talent. Conversely, this is also a league that will chew you up and spit you out the minute it thinks you have lost the ability to help a team. Heck, Jerry Rice was cut by the 49ers the minute they thought he wasn't the player he used to be. That has to be a factor into Driver's thinking. And, considering Jennings' emergence (plus the fact that he's about to get paid in a big way), Driver may think he won't get the money he signed for (remember that NFL contracts are not guaranteed) unless he asks Green Bay to re-work his deal.

So, I understand why Driver's doing it. What I don't understand is why Ted Thompson is (apparently) giving in to Driver's demands. This is literally the first time in two seasons that I have disagreed with a Thompson decision.

I'm not saying that Driver isn't a good player. I'm not saying that Driver doesn't deserve every dollar that he signed for in 2006 and 2007. For the most part (with the exception of this incident) he has been the model Packer. What I'm saying is that if Thompson and the Packers are considering re-working Driver's contract, it goes against everything that Thompson has done over the last few years.

Time and time again, Thompson has chosen youth over experience. He doesn't dive into free agency. He prefers to draft, and he likes to take care of his young players that are up for new deals. That's why he took care of Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, Cullen Jenkins, and others. It's why he will take care of Jennings and safety Nick Collins sooner rather than later. It's why he let Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle walk away years ago. it's why he refused to pay Ahman Green when Green wanted a lifetime achievement contract a couple of years ago.

So, I'm a little confused as to why Thompson is changing the way he operates. But, I do have a theory (I always seem to, don't I?). Let me lay it on you.

Could it be that Thompson has decided to give in to Driver's contractual demands to avoid the circus that he presided over a year ago?

I think that might very well be the case. We all know that Favre-gate was a major distraction last year. There were interviews on FOX News Channel. people firing up websites looking for their fifteen minutes of fame, and reporters covering Favre's comings and goings like he was the President. In short, it was madness, and it probably is something Thompson and the Packers desperately want to avoid at this point.

Is it the best reason to give in to a player's demand for more money? Maybe not. But, remember that Driver is the face of this franchise. He is arguably the most popular Packer as we speak. What kind of distraction would it be if Driver didn't show up to training camp at the end of July because of a contract situation? It might not be the distraction that Favre was, but it would be a distraction. A big one.

This team can't afford distractions. They were 6-10 last season. A repeat of what happened last year won't sit well with the fans, and it probably won't sit well with President Mark Murphy, either. Besides, there are going to be enough questions about this team as we go forward this summer, whether it's about the defense, Aaron Rodgers' ability to finish opponents off, or the other players who just happen to be looking for new contracts.

Having a happy Driver in camp is key to avoiding the kind of circus the Packers had last summer. Maybe that's why they have decided to 'play ball' with Driver as opposed to taking care of Jennings and Collins first (which is what I personally would do).

He's also doing this before signing a single one of his draft picks, which I find interesting, too.

Like I said, it's just my theory. Take it for what it is. At the end of the day, though, Thompson is still going against every instinct he's shown in four years as the GM of this team.

And I just don't understand it.

2 comments:

Hal said...

Ugh, what a distorted hagiography of Thompson. And Jason Wilde remains a mouthpiece for him. I wonder if Ari Fleischer is still working for them. If things go sour with Driver or Kampman look for the unnamed sources to provide nasty little tidbits, not all of which are true and none of which are honestly presented.

True to form the only thing that Thompson says is mumbling nonsense, the coach can't seem to say anything but coach speak and the president is a wet noodle.

Saunders said...

You're entitled to your opinion, sir. But, I can tell you for a fact (because I have been in that locker room) that Wilde isn't a mouthpiece for Thompson. He's one of the better reporters on the beat.

Your comment also leads me to believe that you probably were affected adversely by the events of last summer. It is time to move on.

One last thing, I do love the use of the word hagiography. I knew what it meant, but I can tell you that in my 37 years I had never had the word come up in any conversation that I have ever had.

It got me to thinking. Hal is obviously not your real name. You're Dave Begel, aren't you? He's the only guy I know that would use that word. And, he shares your view of Thompson, McCarthy, and Murphy.

If I'm right, then at least I accomplished one thing. Even though I haven't been on the air in seven months, you still think enough of me to read my stuff. i take that as a compliment.

Cliff