Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A New Method To My Bracket Madness



This is the year that I'm making a change. I'm going to improve myself. I'm going to correct a mistake that I've been making for years.

No, I'm not going to go on a diet and work out like a maniac. I already work out six days a week (but I have a sweet tooth so they kind of cancel each other out). I quit smoking (for the second time) two years ago. So, the change we're talking about has nothing to do with the changes we promise ourselves we will make every year at or around January first.

No, the change I'm making has to do with how I fill out my NCAA Bracket Sheet.

Here's the drill. In past years, when the seedings were announced, I'd immerse myself in all the analysis I could find, whether it was on television, radio, or the internet. I listened to more Dick Vitale than any human being can possibly handle. I heard all twelve of CBS' college basketball analysts talk about who they thought would make The Final Four. I read all the blogs on ESPN, FOX, CBS Sports, and about fifteen other websites. I thought I was prepared. Little did I know the college basketball g-ds looked down on me from up above and said "So, you think you know what you're talking about, huh? Guess what, you don't know jack!"

In past years, I'd take all that knowledge, enter two or three different pools, and submit two bracket sheets to each one. The first sheet was the one I always played straight. The second sheet was the one that had the upsets on it. If I picked the eight seed on sheet number one, I'd be sure to pick the nine seed on the second sheet.

I thought I was protecting myself. I thought I was covered. I thought I had it all figured out.

I was wrong.

I started filling out bracket sheets and entering pools when I was eighteen years old - a freshman in college. I'm thirty-seven now. Would you like to guess how many times I won? Zero. I have never won a pool. Ever.

I've gotten close. I finished third once (not a whole lot you can do with the $40 prize). That was it. One third place finish in nineteen years. One freakin' third place finish.

So, I'm changing it up. The way I figure it, my way of doing things hasn't been working out. So, a couple of weeks ago, I hateched a plan. A new strategy, so to speak.

I'm still going to devour as much information as I possibly can. That means a lot of time in front of the television, the computer, and the radio.

But, here's the difference. I'm only going to fill out ONE pool sheet. No more two sheets per pool. One sheet.

The old way obviously wasn't working, so I figure I'm going to combine my two sheets into one.. I have nothing to lose. It's not like I've ever won before.

And, since I happen to be 'between gigs' (in other words, out of work) right now, I'm not putting any money on this year's bracket. I'm just having a friendly competition with my wife that will be played out on CBS Sports' Bracket Manager. She'll pick the winners based on team colors, nickname, and mascots. I'll pick winners based on my supposed knowledge.

If I win (and there is no guarantee) then I'll enter a 2010 pool using my successful strategy. If my wife wins, then it's back to square one. In other words, if my wife wins, I'll be forced to change again.

If at first you don't succeed....


Check out my podcast today and find out why I think a certain NL Central team (not the Astros) should take a hard look at Pedro Martinez!

No comments: