Thursday, March 26, 2009

Quick Takes


It's one of those days. And by those days, I mean the kind of day where I just have too much on my mind and not enough time to get it all out. Like last week, I'll let everyone else 'preview' the Sweet Sixteen. I have 14 of the 16 remaining teams in my bracket (but lost Wake Forest). My wife has 15 of 16. Heck, maybe she should preview the games tonight


That being said, here's what else is on my mind.

1. UCONN reportedly violated NCAA rules: Nate Miles, a UCONN recruit, reportedly got lodging, transportation, meals, and representation while the Huskies were trying to get him to come to Stoors. Are you really shocked by this? I'm not. In fact, I'm surprised we don't see more schools caught with their pants down. I'll never forget Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski once telling Sporting News Radio that he's surprised he's never been busted by the NCAA police. Coach K always claimed the rulebook is too long and changes too frequently; that it's impossible for each coach to know every rule that's written. Ultimately, I don't think UCONN will suffer any major penalties for this. Someone far down the totem pole will take the fall and we'll all forget that this ever happened.

2. Dwight Howard is a beast: Did you see what he did against the Celtics last night? All I can say is WOW! I know he's not near the top of the league in scoring, but he does lead the NBA in rebounds, he is Mr. Double-Double, and has the Magic (with 53 wins) calling themselves division champions. I understand all the MVP talk has been centered around Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, and Dwayne Wade, but Howard now has to be in the conversation. I don't know that I'd give him my vote, but I know that I'd think about it. Very hard.

3. The Commish wants more games that count: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would like to see the regular season expand to seventeen or eighteen games. I think it's a great idea. This way you get rid of at least one pre-season game (I have no use for exhibition football). The naysayers might say that you can't keep players healthy in a seventeen or eighteen game season. Guess what? They can't keep players healthy in a sixteen game season, and the NFL is doing just fine thank you. The Patriots were thought to be toast after Tom Brady went down in Week 1 last season. We all saw how that worked out. The NFL is Darwinism at its best. Only the strong survive. The good teams figure out a way to overcome injuries. The bad ones don't. It's as simple as that.

4. Washington wants to butt in on the BCS: The Senate must have some free time on their hands. They are now reviewing whether or not the Bowl Championship Series violates antitrust laws. Look, I hate the BCS just as much as most rational college football fans. But, I gave up fighting the good fight last year, and I firmly believe Washington should as well. I think the Senate has more important issues to attend to. For instance, a slumping economy (I'm being kind). And then of course there are two wars we're in the middle of fighting. Health care concerns. And these guys want to investigate the BCS??? I think their time could be used more wisely and efficiently.

5. John Cena sounds off on A-Rod: Cena, one of the top draws in the WWE (admit it you watch), thinks Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez should go to jail for using steroids. Let me get this straight. A pro wrestler (who has avoided answering questions about whether or not he used steroids in the past) thinks A-Rod should go to jail. If that's not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
That's enough for one day. Enjoy the games tonight!

Check out my podcast today for a preview of tonight's Sweet 16 action!

No comments: