Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sports Radio The Way It Ought Not To be




I've been doing sports radio - in one form or another - for eighteen years. I've been a producer, a sports anchor, and a host. I've said a lot of things on the radio (some smart, some maybe not so much). I've heard many other hosts say things on the radio - things that may or may not be appropriate (the whole Sports Talk vs. Guy Talk thing).

What I've never heard, until earlier this week, was someone dropping f-bombs on the air like it was nothing. That's exactly what happened at KXNO radio in Des Moines, Iowa. Hosts Marty Tirrell and Larry Cotlar (full disclosure here - Larry and I worked together at One on One Sports) got into an argument off the air. However, the person running the board (the guy in charge of making sure the microphones are off during commercial breaks) screwed up (it happens), and the entire verbal confrontation (I'm being polite) made it on to the air. The story has a link to the actual audio of the confrontation. I'd suggest you check it out at your own risk, though I have chosen not to link it.

As of yesterday, both Cotlar and Tirrell had been suspended 'until further notice.' Will further action be taken? I imagine so. Clear Channel, the company that owns the radio station, will probably let one of the two suspended hosts go. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked of both Tirrell and Cotlar are cut loose.

Simply put, and I say this having not been in the room when the incident occurred, both hosts are in the wrong here. Yes, it's true that whoever was running the board screwed up. And yes, that person should have realized his mistake and hit the dump button immediately. But, ultimately, the board operator is not the one to blame here. The hosts are.

The first thing they teach you in radio, and I do mean THE FIRST THING, is to be careful about what you say when you are in the studio. Why? Because you never know when a microphone is live. Even if you know that the mics are off, you have to be careful . These two guys (and from listening to the audio Tirrell is more guilty than Cotlar is) weren't careful.

But, they are both equally guilty. You can clearly hear both of them using profanity. To me, it's an open and shut case. Especially when you consider the language that was used could result in a hefty FCC fine.

Clear Channel ultimately will have no choice but to terminate at least one of these two hosts. Firstly because of the language that was used. It wasn't like it was just one f-bomb. It was a dozen uses of the word (give or take). If the word was used one time, the station (and its corporate owner - Clear Channel) could write it off as an accident. But when the word goes across the air twelve times, well, let's just say it's a different ballgame.

You also have to remember that this took place in Des Moines, Iowa. It didn't happen in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Des Moines is a small market in the Midwest. People there aren't as forgiving about that kind of language being used on its public airwaves.

And then you also have to remember that the station could be in a lot of hot water with its advertisers. Some will stick around, but I am sure that there will be more than one that decides to spend their money somewhere else. And, when a station is threatened with the possibility of losing money in this economy, it has to act. Remember, radio is no longer just ratings driven. Especially sports radio, which doesn't usually deliver high ratings anyway. The bottom line is more important, and if that bottom line has to be written in red ink instead of black ink, someone is going to pay with their job.

It's a shame that it has to happen. You don't like to see anyone lose their job in this economy (especially in this industry). As I mentioned, I know Larry Cotlar. He's a good man. He's a veteran broadcaster. He's not Jim Rome (who is?) but he also isn't the worst host I have ever heard either. That being said, he's sitting in the same boat as Tirrell is right now (and I admit I don't know Tirrell, nor do I know why these two got into the confrontation in the first place).

And the boat they are in right now is taking on a lot of water. When the smoke clears (and it might take some time) I think both of them will find themselves in the same situation. Without a job. And with no one to blame but themselves.
Check out my podcast today and find out why I'm happy Cinderella has left The Dance!

No comments: